Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Your Shangri-La

As I sit here and write this half of my family spans thousands of miles across the US - from New Jersey to Hawaii - on business and pleasure (you can guess which location matches which). Each day they've been gone, I've been keeping an eye on the weather and hoping they packed accordingly (record snowfall in the northeast and warm temps in HI). It also got me to thinking - is there a location with perfect weather??

Sure, it would be great to live up north and experience snow (I have) - the beauty of glistening snow, skiing, white Christmases, etc. But that's short-lived (at least for me) once February and March roll around and the white stuff is still on the ground. Or living in a tropical climate would certainly have its benefits with all-year warm weather and sunny skies....but what about the change of seasons and cool weather for the holidays? I don't think it'd feel like Christmas if there wasn't a chill in the air.

I guess everyone has their own opinion of a place with 'perfect weather.' I'd love to live in Colorado with the beautiful scenery, but gosh, I don't think I could stand the winters! Maybe it's because I grew up in Texas - or experienced living in both the north and south and decided the 'middle' suits me well. I think I love Texas weather because it has some of both....we have our few days of snow (and unfortunately ice) during the fall/winter and then a longer (ok, much longer) season of spring/summer. But overall it suits me well, and I'm happy to live here (although Hawaii sure sounds good on a day like today where it's 12 degrees outside and power outages are rampant!).

So -- where is your 'perfect place' to live? Where the weather is pleasant (or not) all year long....where you live now, or somewhere else? I think today I'll be dreaming about the summer and hoping that some of that Hawaiian air is sent this way....oh, here's to wishful thinking!!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I would love a summer home and a winter home. That way I'm always happy!!! :)