Today marks the 3 year anniversary of Aunt Amy's passing. In some ways it seems so long ago, and in other ways it's hard to believe that she's still gone. I miss her laugh, her loud voice, and the way she lit up when she saw any of her family. She was truly a blessing to us, and we still miss her dearly.
In the past 6 months or so, Emily has been drawn to a photo that I have sitting out of the 4 of us girls - mom, Aunt Amy, Cath, & I. I'll come into the room and find her just studying it and pointing to each person. They are all familiar faces to her...except for one...her Great Aunt Amy. When I ask her to show me "Grandma Holly" she always points to Great Aunt Amy instead. My heart drops as I realize that, although the 2 sisters share alot of resemblance, Emily doesn't know who her Great Aunt Amy is. She will always be someone that we talk about and reminisce on fond memories. But she will never know her.
And yet I find comfort in the fact and pray that some day Emily will meet her Great Aunt Amy and get to know her (I don't know how people live without that hope!). But until then, I can share with her all of the pictures, memories, and stories that fill my heart and remind me of the blessing that Aunt Amy was to my life. And hopefully Emily will catch a glimpse of the amazing, loving, and passionately exuberant woman that her Great Aunt Amy was.



2 comments:
I have tears streaming down my face while reading this. I look forward to sharing Aunt Amy with Emily as well! She would have been over the moon with the news of her great niece...
Hilary, I am so sorry. There are things that will always sting and bring back the ache of those we miss. I am sorry that Emily won't get to meet her Auntie until Heaven. What a huge loss for you- I cannot imagine. I think it is precious that you leave out a picture of her, and that Emily WILL know your love that you had, and still have your Aunt Amy. (((hugs)))
Post a Comment