About 2 months ago the tile in our master bathroom shower caved into the house (due to the instability of the backing-up drywall when wet). This is not a pretty sight when your home is relatively new.

So after getting expert advice, second opinions, and useless insurance information, we decided to plunge forward with the inevitable: a half bathroom remodel. This is where I was introduced to the wonderful world of tile. Or should I say, the overwhelming world of tile (side note - please talk with me if you're in the area and looking for tile - I know where all of the factory direct stores are!). After designing the look we wanted, interviewing contractors, and shopping for weeks for tile, grout, and glass enclosures, we were finally ready and excited to get the project moving forward....and ready to move out of our guest bathroom!
The remodel took about 1 week from demolition to tile. It was a long week, and I was very glad to have the various groups of men that worked in my house for 8 hours a day gone.
Below is a picture sequence of the process. A few things to note:
1) Somehow we didn't get a true "before" picture with the front panel on the bathtub and the shiny gold/silver hardware on the tub. You'll just have to imagine it there.
2) We experimented with paint on the wall and will NOT be using the "highlighter blue" color (as my dear sister calls it); so please disregard. I'm thinking of doing a light shade of brown to coordinate with the tile, but am not completely sold as I'm very much of a "color" girl. Any suggestions are welcome.
3) Yes, we are owners of the despised gold hardware in our bathroom. And yes, now that our bathroom is "updated" it stands out more than ever. No need to worry; this is on our "to-do" list of items to replace...after we take a breather from this project...
Now that we're on the same page, here's the photo sequence:
Bathtub/Shower Before

Down to the Studs

Concrete Board Installed

After!


We absolutely love the finished product! The semi-frameless shower enclosure is much more attractive than our old frame; we love the updated look of the brushed nickel hardware; and having 2 niches (his/hers) in the shower is wonderful! Now I'm trying to figure out how I can spend all day in my new bathroom....!
3 comments:
No highlighter blue...Yippee!! :-p you did a get job decorating. SO glad its finished, and yall can assume normal shower schedules! :)
It looks awesome, Hilary! Remodeling is the WORST, but when you're finished it's great!
It looks so great Hilary! We do the boys bathroom this summer! :)
Post a Comment