Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11 Reflections

Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and it conjured up alot of memories and emotions for me as I watched the news and remembered how the events of that day played out 10 years ago....

You see, that day I was off American soil and experienced it much differently (in some ways the same) as I was studying abroad in Germany. I kept a journal that semeter and wanted to share a few excerpts from it.

"Tuesday was an emotional day to say the least....after classes, at about 3ish, I went into the kitchen/lounge to do something, and the tv was blaring....I soon found out that America had been attacked by hijackers....I just stood there in shock and disbelief. I felt so far away from home and my family and friends. It was just wierd hearing about destruction in America when I was in a foreign country."

"Apparently alot of people stayed up to the wee hours of the morning watching [the news] because everyone was exhausted in class Wednesday morning....the first hour we talked about what was happening in America, and [the teacher] discussed with us the precautions we should take being Americans in a foreign country. She told us that we're not allowed into any McDonalds or American restaurants at all. And she said that if anyone asks where we're from, we're supposed to say Canada....I wasn't too scared before that, but afterwards I was kind of freaked out....[the teacher] said that there are alot of Islamic or anti-American groups, so we're supposed to speak our English quietly...[she] also told us to stay out of east Germany, including the Octoberfest in Munich, because there are German connections to this whole thing."

"So then we came back to our dorm. I wanted to find out what was on CNN (the only English news station we got), so I went into the lounge where 3 Middle-Eastern guys were already watching CNN....[one] saw me standing there and told me that he was very sorry for what happened in the U.S. It's been really nice to see so many international students so supportive."


Reflecting now 10 years later, I remember feeling a sense of confusion, not really knowing what was going on, and trying to piece it all together. We were told to steer clear of France, particulary Paris, and if we went, not to go up the Eiffel tower. We were also told not to eat from any canned foods as Germany was receiving canned foods from terrorists that were trying to harm Americans. I think the worst feeling of all was hearing that the US airport system had been shut down completely, and even if I wanted to get home, I couldn't. I felt stranded and alone. But thank goodness for prayer, emails, and phone calls. I was finally able to connect with family and friends across the miles. I wrote in my journal...

"[My sister] wrote [in an email] how at Valpo's chapel service, pastor prayed for the people studying abroad, and it just hit her that I was might be unsafe being abroad. I also read one from Sarah who said that she was crying all morning from the news and wished I was there. I also wished I was there to hold and be with all of my friends and family during this crisis."

Living through something like this changes you as a person. I know it's certaintly changed our country. What a reminder that freedom is not free and is such a pricless gift. I refuse to live in fear, but in hope. And I'm so thankful to live on American soil today and be with the ones I love.

We sang one of my favorite hymns in church yesterday on 9/11, and the lyrics are so appropriate for this day of remberance:

"Our God, Our Help in Ages Past"

Our God, our Help in ages past,
Our Hope for years to come,
Our Shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal Home!

Under the shadow of Thy throne
Thy saints have dwelt secure;
Sufficient is Thine arm alone,
And our defense is sure.

Our God, our Help in ages past,
Our Hope for years to come,
Be Thou our Guard while troubles last
And our eternal Home!



Keller, Texas, Town Center - September 2011
{9/11 Field of Flags Tribute}
2,977 flags to honor each victim that lost their lives


Bright hope for the future

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I do remember how scared I was for you. I couldn't imagine how scary it was being a foreigner. So glad nothing happened to you, and you got home safely!

I love that lil girl...she sure is our hope for the future!