Yesterday was a big day for us here in North Texas.
After enjoying a much needed break from the heat last week, yesterday the Fahrenheit surged to 107 degrees, not only breaking a record for the day, but also making it The #1 Hottest Summer EVER in North Texas.
This area has been above 100 degrees for 70 days this summer. That's a 7-0, i.e. alot! To make that more painful, we endured a streak of 40 consecutive days above 100 degrees. Our average temperature (day & night) was 90.5 degrees. Need more? Add to that an extreme drought with little to no rain, Stage 1 water restrictions (meaning only watering 2 times a week), and now you have a good picture of our summer.
Am I sharing this to elicit sympathy? Yes, actually I am. Many of you that enjoyed cool, rainy summers had to listen to my complaining about what a miserable summer we had. Staying inside all day - or finding a cool place to play - with a very busy toddler is no simple task. We got very creative and learned quickly that outdoor play time happened between the hours of 7-9am. Then it was indoor fun and games for the remainder of the day.
I also share this record-breaking news to once and for all silence my dear mother on every August 19th to come. You see, the previous 'Hottest North Texas Summer' award went to the summer of 1980. That happens to be the year I was born. And that also happens to be the summer that my mother was pregnant with me. I don't think I can remember a birthday in my past where she didn't bring up how miserably hot it was that year and how she endured "the hottest summer ever". Well, mother dear, I appreciate how you lovingly bore me that hot hot summer long ago, but now I can say at 31 years old that I have lived during "THE Hottest Summer Ever"!
Finally, I say to anyone who is interested in visiting this Great State - come on down! Now that we've gotten this miserable weather out of our system - hopefully for many years to come - come on and enjoy our nice fall, winter, & spring temps! Like my grandmother always says, "at least we don't have to shovel the heat"!
1 comment:
This post is AWESOME! I think I will forward it to my mother too! :)
Post a Comment