Thursday, September 22, 2011

Flowering Fun: Part 2

In a previous post, I shared my experiment with growing flowers from seed for our front yard flower beds. So now I give you the flowers I started from seed for the back yard flower beds.

This experiment was a bit different as this time around I sowed the seeds directly into the ground soil (with the exception of one potting container) instead of using the 'indoor greenhouse kit.' The kinds used this go around were Cosmos and Zinnias. These actually grew quicker (thanks to direct sunlight) and produced an array of bright, vivid colors. They were beautiful! That is, until the drought of 2011 hit and watering consumed way too much time to keep them looking their prime. Needless to say the end of their life came after zero rain and major heat hit this summer. But alas, I have these photos below to remind me that my flowering experiment #2 proved to be another success!

I really enjoyed this process both times and the results they produced, but with an active toddler at home and the delicacy and patience that new seedlings require, I think my local Plant Shed store will be seeing me again this fall. So here's to happy gardening and beautiful fall colors!








1 comment:

Catherine said...

These are pretty too. But I'd agree on letting the plant shed grow them next round. Much easier :)