Thursday, September 15, 2011

Flowering Fun

In January of this year (yes, I admit, I'm behind on posts), I decided to try my hand at growing flowers from seed for our flower beds in the spring. Usually I go down the street to our local 'Plant Shed' store to purchase flowers, but this year I decided to be a bit adventurous.

So, while the temps were still cold, I gave this indoor project a try. I bought the necessary supplies - Burpee seed starting kit and flower packets - and I was set to go. After researching which flowers grow well in Texas soil, I carefully sowed Alyssum, Cornflower, Geranium, and Marigold seeds. I set them on a stand, under a light, in a sunny and warm spot, and then waited.

For an impatient person like me, the waiting seemed like forever....but sure enough, after many weeks, little seedlings began to appear!





Fast forward several months to the spring, and here are the beauties that emerged after giving them lots of love and then transplanting them to the garden. Look at the colors! It's so rewarding to see beautiful flowers arise from tiny seeds.

This was a fun little experiment, and I count it a success!

Alyssum provides great ground cover


Bright Marigolds


Geranium mixed with Marigolds


Blue Cornflower - my favorite!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Gorgeous Hil! It takes a special person to be able to grow flowers that beautiful. Want to come landscape my yard? :)

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I always want to do things like this and then I never make the time to do it. Go Hil! :)

Catherine said...

I was wondering what happened to your sprouts...they look great! Do you think you'll try this again another year?